Skip to main content

View Diary: Why the current GOP can't win Latinos (173 comments)

Comment Preferences

•  Wasn't that awful? (7+ / 0-)

They had to cook their own food, and the stock was worth "only" about $60,000 (about $300,000 in today's dollars, by the way), so they were REALLY poor.
    She would have been a charming first lady, no?

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 02:43:55 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Jeez, I often didn't have $60 dollars and (5+ / 0-)

frequently was down to scrounging up 60 cents when I was first out of college, hunting for a job without a rich dad's friends to clear the way for me.

Yeah, their story was absurd.  It just proved they were both severely disconnected from real people in every way.

by YucatanMan on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 02:49:31 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I remember renting an apartment (8+ / 0-)

one summer with two other girls, so we could spend the summer at the beach. We all had waitressing jobs that didn't pay very well, and most of our money went to pay the rent. We would reuse the coffee grinds two or three times to make the coffee last. We all ate at work so we wouldn't have to buy groceries, which meant we ate once a day. None of us had a car yet, so we walked to work (admittedly not a long walk or an unpleasant one).
        So when Ann was telling that "poor us" story, I wanted to throw something at the TV.

by skohayes on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 02:59:14 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I was so poor in college (6+ / 0-)

that I took a work-study job watching chickens f*ck because I got free eggs as well as minimum wage.

(True story - research assistant job on a sexual selection experiment involving jungle fowl.)

I never had any stock to sell. Had no investments, no fallback.

“If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.” Charles Darwin

by ivorybill on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 03:54:35 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  She would've made Nancy look (3+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      tikkun, ER Doc, skohayes

like Margot Trudeau.

"Let us never forget that doing the impossible is the history of this nation....It's how we are as Americans...It's how this country was built"- Michelle Obama

by blueoregon on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 03:22:44 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  charming (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      skohayes

like Marie Antionette

We have no desire to offend you -- unless you are a twit!

by ScrewySquirrel on Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 07:23:56 PM PST

[ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site