Skip to main content

Enrique Gonzalez, 22, (L-R), Janet Regalado, 21, and their nine-month-old daughter Kayleen Gonzalez pose for a photo after signing up for health insurance at an enrolment event in Commerce, California March 31, 2014. U.S. President Barack Obama's embattle
The big drops in the uninsured rate Gallup reported for March and April holds for May, meaning that the Republicans' last hurrah in unskewing Obamacare numbers—already effectively debunked—is totally toast. The uninsured rate really is the lowest it's been in six years.
Chart showing drop in uninsured rate reported by Gallup since 2008.
The percentage of U.S. adults lacking insurance coverage in the first two months of the second quarter of 2014 is down from 17.1% in the fourth quarter of 2013 and from the 15.6% average in the first quarter of 2014. The current 13.4% average for the second quarter of 2014 is the lowest level recorded since Gallup began tracking this measure in 2008.
For those counting, that's a 22 percent drop in five months. The biggest drop in the uninsured rate was among African Americans, "falling 6.2 percentage points to 14.7 percent," and Latinos, "down 5.6 points since the end of 2013 to 33.1 percent," though "this remains the highest uninsured rate across key subgroups." Undocumented immigrants aren't eligible to get insurance under the law, so that could be a factor behind that number.

The rate could drop further if more states decide to accept Medicaid expansion, and as more people enroll in Medicaid, which they can do at any time. Medicaid enrollees don't have to wait for the fall open enrollment period for Obamacare.

Originally posted to Joan McCarter on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 09:31 AM PDT.

Also republished by Obamacare Saves Lives and Daily Kos.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  Tip Jar (24+ / 0-)

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. [...] There would be no place to hide."--Frank Church

by Joan McCarter on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 09:31:36 AM PDT

•  We need some Democratic attack dogs on this (5+ / 0-)

We need some top Democrats to go full attack mode on the GOP for their fear-mongering smear campaign.  It's time to show some damned outrage here and turn this story around.  Before fall.  Please.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

by Sun dog on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 09:43:50 AM PDT

•  Grimes of KY should grab this and do a number (3+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      Shawn87, Sun dog, twcollier

on McConnell.

Notice: This Comment © 2014 ROGNM UID 2547

by ROGNM on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 10:06:41 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Well they are too busy being silent on other sm... (2+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      Sun dog, askew

Well they are too busy being silent on other smear campaigns at the moment to get out there and run on one of the greatest achievements this administration has had. Give them a break...it is hard, hard work being silent all the time.

•  Why aren't we pissed off? (1+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        askew

After 8 years of the Bush disaster they immediately stole the narrative with the "Tea Party" astroturf scam where somehow the very wingnuts who were responsible for the mess were the ones so righteously angry about it.  It was such obvious bullshit and the "mainstream" went along with it all the way.  It's "Czars!" an "Death Panels" and one crazy ass thing after another and they've been wrong about EVERYTHING for a generation.  And they're still the angry ones who get all the press.  I'm so goddamned sick of it.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

by Sun dog on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 11:47:34 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Good News but why is (6+ / 0-)

The ACA still polling negative. The numbers have improved but they are still negative. What is going on? are we missing something or is this the usual lag between news/developments and polling?

a long habit of not thinking a thing WRONG, gives it a superficial appearance of being RIGHT, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.

by Jamesleo on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 09:47:13 AM PDT

•  Thank you Joan for stating that... (4+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    TheLizardKing, Delevie, Shawn87, askew

... "that's a 22 percent drop in five months."

I hate when Dems pols, pundits and operatives go on the TeeVee and spout "Well the uninsured rate dropped 4% since Obamacare started"  NO, NO, NO... 4% of the total USA population is not  4% of the Uninsured DUMMIES!

•  Personal Insurance Question--help? (0+ / 0-)

I'm a freelancer. In December, when I signed up for CoveredCA, I was poor enough to get a subsidy that covered everything except for like $20/month to insure me and my family.

Yay!

But suddenly, I'm having a good year. My subsidy dropped to nothing. I'm paying $600/month.

Even better! I'd rather have a good year.

My question, though, is this: CoveredCA keeps hassling me for more documentation! I'm not getting any subsidy now, so can I just ignore them?

I chatted with someone at CoveredCA.com, and got the very strong impression that he was saying exactly that, until a supervisor started looking over his shoulder.

"Gussie, a glutton for punishment, stared at himself in the mirror."

by GussieFN on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 10:46:43 AM PDT

•  No I wouldn't just ignore them. Give them what ... (2+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      twcollier, askew

No I wouldn't just ignore them. Give them what they have requested because you might still qualify for a subsidy. You would really have to be having an awesome year to not get anything in the form of a subsidy. I think like 85 percent of those who apply get one.

•  Holy Shnikey, That's a Hell of a Drop! (4+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    Delevie, NedSparks, twcollier, Shawn87

Suck on it GOP!

Imagine the most profound idea ever conceptualized occupying this space. Now expect exactly the opposite. You'll never be disappointed.

by Gurnt on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 10:56:22 AM PDT

•  That was a whole lot of trouble... (0+ / 0-)

...to get one in every 20 Americans some health insurance.

It's not the side effects of the cocaine/I'm thinking that it must be love

by Rich in PA on Thu Jun 05, 2014 at 11:17:34 AM PDT

•  There were 48 million uninsured (3+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    NedSparks, twcollier, askew

in 2013, so a 22% drop is 10.6 million more people who have insurance now.

Brainwrap has the newly insured range between 15.5 million and 24.5 million. A lot of those had insurance before Obamacare but it was ripoff insurance or it had annual and lifetime limits. And I am guessing there are lots of people who don't know they are eligible for Medicaid now, so they might answer 'no' if the Gallup poll asked them if they had insurance.

All in all it's a great achievement and there's more to come.

•  Personal ACA experience (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    twcollier, askew

While I had insurance before, never really used until 1 month ago. I've been is great health up to this age of 42. My insurance has mostly paid for checkups every year or two for the last 10 years.

Boom, out hiking with my dog in local mountain bike park search for edible mushrooms. Not far into the woods I walked up on another dog owner with two dogs (she had no leashes). My Rottie had wagging tail until one of her dogs jumped at him barking. Long story short, big dog fight, I'm knocked to the ground. Once separated, I get up with torn up knee and I knew it was bad.

Our family insurance is $300/month. I'm unfortunately in position of really needing my "ObamaCares". Since it was on weekend, I waited till Monday. Within hours I'm getting an exam by the official orthopedic of a professional Hockey team and major college football (Raleigh otho, Dr. Barker) -- $35. Two days later MRI -- $35. A few days later MRI consultation -- $35. 4 days later, orthoscopic knee surgery -- $100. I have yet to use this story because some bills could still be on their way (it's been 3 weeks), but we did recieve notice of the cost of the surgery and it was over $10,000. This may be how it has always been, but if every conservative is blaming every bad Doc experience on the ACA, I'm going to play their same game. Just astounded at the great deal and cannot fathom anyone being without health insurance.

•  It would be interesting to know (0+ / 0-)

what the figures were before 2008 (i.e. pre-recession, and evidently before Gallup began asking the question).

"... the lowest it's been in six years" sounds like we might just be back to the point we were at in 2008.  But the Gallup report is actually phrased a bit differently:  "... the lowest level recorded since Gallup began tracking this measure in 2008."

To put it another way, "Lowest in 6 years" and "lowest ever recorded" are technically both applicable here, but they don't tell the same story.

•  Great news! (0+ / 0-)

For Obama and the Dems, sure.
    But most importantly for millions of Americans, and for our society.
    Joe Biden was right:  The Affordable Care Act really is a B.F.D.!

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site